Joe Wilder MD
Surgeon, Visionary, Renaissance Figure, American Artist.
Unlike many artists who’s paintings fit into only a handful of categories Joe Wilder has an extraordinary plate filled with images. He has been recognized for his beautiful creations of still lifes, seascapes and landscapes, birds and animals, nudes and portraits, racing cars, horse races, athletes and most acclaimed are his paintings of surgeons, which has created an avalanche of responses from around the world.
Donald Kuspit in a recent review of Wilder’s surgeon images felt he captured the essence of Surgeons being a committed surgeon himself
The Art of Surgery – Published 2002 Dartmouth College in his paintings of
life in the operating room, noted artist and surgeon Joe Wilder, a graduate of Dartmouth College, offers revealing insights into a milieu that is at once awesomely technical and profoundly intimate … read more
NIH – US National Library of Medicine – Oil Painting recently acquired by the National Library of Medicine. Wilder’s paintings capture perfectly what takes place in an operating room from the viewpoint of someone who has performed thousands of operations and seen thousands more performed. The viewer knows what it’s like to be deep in surgery,
As President George Bush once stated, Joe Wilder “was a Renaissance Man.” read more
JAMA Journal of American Medicine – Athletes: The Paintings of Joe Wilder … Joseph R. Wilder, MD, describes himself as “an athlete, a surgeon, and a painter.” His artwork is a brilliant showcase of Wilder’s skills … read more
JOURNAL ARTICLE Reviewed Work: Surgical Reflections: Images in Paint and Prose by Seymour I. Schwartz, Joe Wilder … Read more
Dr. Joe Wilder Curriculum Vitae
- Graduated Dartmouth College
- Degree Columbia University Physicians and Surgeons
- Chief of Surgery Wright Patterson US Air Force Base
- Chief of Surgery at The Hospital for Joint Diseases
- Professor of Surgery Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Director of Emergency Services Mt Sinai Hospital New York
I am an athlete, a surgeon and a painter.”
All-American lacrosse player whiles at Dartmouth college. He attended Columbia Medical School.
As a young surgeon he won the prestigious Markle Award for research in cardiovascular surgery and was the author of several medical texts. He served as Chief of Surgery at Wright Patterson Air Force Base. He was Professor of Surgery at the renowned Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City.
Joe Wilder Art Books
Wilder’s two art books and two surgery books have all been published to critical acclaim.
- “Athletes” – The Paintings of Joe Wilder M.D.
- “Surgical Reflections” – Award Winner The American Medical Writers Association
- “Life in the Operating Room” – Forward by C. Everett Koop M.D. – 2017
- Permanent Exhibit Yale University “Surgeons at Work” series of 14
- 18 of his paintings reproduced in The New York Times
- The Presidential Medal for Achievement in Art and Science
Dr Joe Wilder
College of Physicians and Surgeons – Obituary 7/1/2003
Obituary New York Times – Joseph Wilder, 82; New York Surgeon And Skilled Artist – Dr. Joseph R. Wilder, a New York surgeon who also became a well-known artist … Dr. Wilder was director of surgery at the Hospital for Joint Diseases as well as a professor of surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital.